NOTICE TO GEPF MEMBERS, BENEFICIARIES AND SPOUSES
(i) ALL CURRENT MEMBERS;
(ii) BENEFICIARIES AND SPOUSES WHO BECAME ENTITLED TO BENEFITS SINCE 1 APRIL 2015; AND
(iii) FORMER MEMBERS WHO RESIGNED SINCE 1 APRIL 2015
1. In August 2016, the Public Servants Association (“PSA”) applied to the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria for an order directing the Government Employees Pension Fund (“GEPF”) to give written notice of the PSA’s court application to all current members, former members who resigned since 1 April 2015, beneficiaries and spouses who became entitled to benefits since 1 April 2015 (hereinafter “stakeholders”).
2. The GEPF did not oppose the order that it give written notice of the PSA’s application to the aforementioned stakeholders. This order was granted on 13 September 2016.
3. The PSA also launched an application for the review and setting aside of the decision of the board of the GEPF, taken in terms of the rules of the GEPF, to amend the actuarial factors used to determine certain benefits payable by the GEPF. The basis for the PSA’s review application is that the GEPF’s board did not consult it before making its decision.
4. The GEPF is opposing the PSA’s review application and has to that end filed and served a notice of intention to oppose.
5. The purpose of this notice is simply to inform GEPF stakeholders of the existence of the PSA’s review application and also to inform any stakeholder that the PSA’s review papers will be available at the GEPF’s offices below upon request.
6. A copy of the PSA’s notice of motion setting out the relief the PSA says it will seek in the review application is attached to this notice.
Principal Executive Officer